Welcome note

holly@instantgalaxy
Site Admin

Welcome note

Post by holly@instantgalaxy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:36 pm

I just want to say welcome to our page and I hope you enjoy your time here. We are still working on the site but hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will be fully up and running. In the time after that it will always keep growing too, so keep an eye on us. :)

I'm Holly, the wife of Caleb Hastings. Together we have five children, with four currently living at home and only two still in school. One of mine is working in town and fixing up an RV so he can finally fly the coop, and the other is almost finished with high school and planning for college. Meanwhile of the other two under this roof, one is in junior high, and the other is currently visiting South America before finishing up her freshman year of college.

The time is coming for my husband and I to fly the coop as well, get out of town and be less relying on the system of money for something like survival. If I could, I would live outdoors. I feel in my element when I'm outside. There are more opportunities for making things that are just for us to enjoy. I have always liked working on projects around the house and yard but the last couple years I've noticed that I'm enjoying it even more, and that will be even better when we are finally working on owning our own land. Plus, working on projects relaxes me.

In this area of the Library, I will be showing you some of my homemade projects, how I did some of them, and what did it cost to work on the projects to get them done.

How do I get my ideas for my projects? Where do I go to get my materials for my projects? Just a couple questions I want to answer for you.

How do I get ideas for my projects? Most of the time by just looking around and then it comes to me, but other times I might need something around the house, like new tables.

You will notice that all my projects won't cost a lot of money to make because, like many families, I don't have a lot of money to spend.

I spent under $20.00 for both of these, $3.00 for each of the bottoms, $1.50 for each top and $10.00 for the paint.

How do I start a home project?

My first step is seeing if I have anything at home to work with.

Seeing if I can find anything free on craigslist or around my neighborhood.

Then I go to the local thrift stores and yard sales.

My favorite local place to shop is Heartwood Resources. They have everything from the kitchen sink, to nails.

Then if you can't find what you're looking for at these places, you can go to local box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

I bought this smoker for $1.00 and then brought it home, sanded it down, painted it, and turned it into a cat bed.

I got two of these bins on trips to Heartwood Resources, brought them home and sanded them down, and repainted one with a red top and the other with orange top. After some research I found that these were designed for a McDonald's in the 1960's. (Actually, in the background of this picture, you can see part of the smoker I described above.)

That is just a few of the types of things that I'll be showing you in this section. Feel free to post any comments below, and if you become a member then be sure to subscribe to this forum
so you always know when I have posted a new story about something to make. Also, if you see something you really like and would want to buy then just let me know! Plus if you have any requests, like if you want to know more about I project I showed or if there's something else you want to see me making on here, always you can post and I'll see what I can do. :)